Choosing New Paint Colors for the Whole House

Apr 18, 2014

As you might have noticed in the "before" kitchen photos, our house had CRAZY paint colors when we bought it. I'm honestly not sure why anyone would choose these. Almost everyone that walked in commented on the color scheme. Here is a rough illustration of the paint colors that were here. I think they were actually worse than these, but they're pretty close:

previous paint colors - choosing new paint colors

All of these colors were packed into about 1,000 sq ft! Note that the pink in the hall bath includes pink tiles and pink walls.

The lighter blue bedroom was actually a somewhat acceptable color, but we wanted everything to be light, bright and neutral. As I've mentioned, our house is small! Light, neutral colors open up the space. Dark, crazy colors make it look even smaller and cave-like.

For a while, I was pretty stressed about picking all new paint colors. In the rentals I've lived in throughout the years, I've only painted 3 rooms: my bedroom and 2 separate dens. That was easy and not really that big of a commitment. I was only going to live there for a year and it was only a rental. (Side note - in the bedroom I painted and one of the dens, both were hideous shades of gold before I painted them. Another terrible color choice.) Choosing new paint colors for a whole house seemed a little overwhelming! I didn't want to spend a bunch of time painting only to hate the colors and have to paint over them.

Of course, I consulted Pinterest and Google for advice on picking paint colors and made kind of a big deal about it. Then, it was time to paint the guest bedroom. William and I were at Lowe's and I pretty much just decided the paint color on whim, based only on swatches in the store. (I'm so glad I spent all that time researching color schemes!) For the den, kitchen, and dining room, I did spend a little more time and bought samples before painting everything.  I definitely recommend doing this - they are only about $3 and actually contain a good bit of paint. (Tip: Sample cans are also perfect for touch ups - they are easy to open and close. I'll probably end up buying another sample of all the paint colors we chose just for that purpose.) After painting some of each sample on the wall, were able to pick 2 colors - Notre Dame and Dove's Cry, both by Valspar.  Notre Dame is in the den and Dove's Cry is in the dining room, kitchen, and hallway. They are all kind of connected, so it made sense to paint them the same color. Here's our new color scheme, minus the master bathroom, since that hasn't been decided:

choosing new paint colors
New color scheme

What do you think? The top 3 are already in the house and they look SO much better! We have already gotten quite a few compliments on them. I'm not sure if this is because people actually like them or just because it looks SO much better than it did before.   I had been dreaming about a grey den - I wanted something neutral, but wanted to break out of the tan colors. So many colors look good with grey - coral, navy, mint, yellow, and more - and I'm having a hard time choosing decor and furniture!  For the hall bath, we are thinking about doing beadboard around the bottom half, so it would be half white and half blue.  The master color is one we used on our previous rental's den and we loved it.

Choosing all new paint colors for an entire house can be a challenge, but my advice is: don't over think it, buy samples, and go with light, neutral colors no matter the size of your house. Also, be sure to go with what you like! I also recommend priming the walls first if you have really dark colors, even if you buy a "paint and primer." The color will come out differently than you thought it would if you don't! On light colored walls, I skip the priming.

I'll update again once we've painted some more rooms! The master bedroom will be next - we've already painted the pink walls in the bathroom, but the pink tiles are still there.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.