DIY Chalk Paint Recipe

Mar 24, 2014

If you spend any time looking at Pinterest or DIY blogs, you will read about chalk paint pretty quickly! Chalk paint is not chalk BOARD paint; it's not meant to be written on.  It's just a different type of paint and the main appeal is that you can paint it over other finished without sanding and priming. This is perfect for reviving an old piece of furniture with minimal effort.  It is also supposed to work on many types of surfaces: wood, veneer, laminate, etc.  Most people buy Annie Sloan's chalk paint, but there are a few new brands out there, too.  The problem with chalk paint (for me) is that it's on the expensive side, and you generally need to have it shipped to you.  I definitely like to see paint colors in person before buying them, so this is definitely an issue for me.

Luckily, chalk paint is VERY easy to make yourself! Be sure to have your piece of furniture (or whatever else) ready for painting before you mix. It isn't super time-sensitive, but you can't make it and save it for another day. All you need to do to prep your furniture is remove on/inside it and clean it with some cleaner and a rag to get dust off.

homemade chalk paint recipe
Yep, it's that easy! I bought the Plaster of Paris and paint at Lowe's while we were getting some other items, and it took me about a minute to mix everything up.  I bought a $2.99 sample jar of paint and the plaster was less than $7, which is another perk of this project. I also have tons of plaster leftover for the future. I used a plastic spoon and a solo cup, because I didn't want to risk contaminating any of our regular cups or spoons with the plaster.  Being the non-detail-oriented person that I am, I wasn't even that exact with the measurements and it came out great. It should have a texture similar to that of a mousse or pudding.

Once it's mixed, you're ready to start painting! I used a regular brush and did one coat, let it dry, and did one more coat.  This paint dries fast, so it's great for a quick project.

Most people recommend waxing furniture that you've chalk painted. After a bit of research, I found that a lot of people kind of hated this part about chalk painting. What's the point in skipping the time to prime and paint if you're going to spend the same amount of time waxing? I decided to skip the wax because 1. I don't have any, 2. I'm lazy, and 3. This piece of furniture isn't extremely valuable - it's just a side table that we use in our den right now and will probably switch out eventually. Instead of waxing, I used a clear Valspar spray paint protective coat on the top. I did several light coats of this to protect it from water and other damage.  So far, so good!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.